Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Special Delivery

Today I was informed that I will be receiving the advanced-ordered copies of my books in the mail tomorrow. I'm excited about that. I've also been told by other authors that the protocol for receiving one's first box of books is to open with friends/loved ones and a bottle (or few) of spirits. I've got the spirits -- my wine rack is generously stocked for such surprise occasions! -- now, I just need the friends/loved ones willing to come uptown and gather in/on The Perch (yes, capital T and P) with me and help me open it. Being the overly impatient one, I realize the last minute thing is going to be hard to coordinate, and I'm one to open immediately upon receiving....maybe it will be a solo celebration and bigger, better celebrations later.

I've unpacked practically everything except for my books. That is because I don't have real bookshelves yet. Those will be my next purchase.

I still haven't written my poem for this week's workshop. Maybe tomorrow the poem will come. I forgot how it feels to have deadlines that are not self-imposed. I forgot what it means to write under pressure. A lot has been going on in my world this week that, sadly, a poem is the last thing on my mind (although, apparently, updating my blog is not)....well, this is my unwinding. I'm going to settle in my bed in a few and read for a bit this book, "I was told there'd be cake" and then maybe dream a little more about my furnished apartment...and the box of books that will be arriving by the UPS fairy tomorrow. It's like Christmas, really. I'm anxious and can't sleep, but know that the sooner I go to sleep, the sooner tomorrow will come!

No comments: