Friday, July 11, 2008

More Questions (thanks to Neruda)

from Neruda's "The Book of Questions"

-Tell me, is the rose naked/ or is that her only dress?
-Is there anything in the world sadder/ than a train standing in the rain?
-For whom do the pistils of the sun burn/ in the shadow of the eclipse?
-Is the sun the same as yesterday's/ or is this fire different from that fire?
-Who shouted with glee/ when the color blue was born?
-How did the abandoned bicycle win its freedom?
-Is it bad to live without a Hell:/ aren't we able to reconstruct it?
-Where is the center of the sea?/ Why do waves never go there?
-Yesterday, yesterday I asked my eyes/ when will we see each other again?
-Why did the grove undress itself/ only to wait for the snow?
-And why is the sun such a bad companion/ to the traveler in the desert?
-Was it where they lost me/ that I finally found myself?
-Does he who is always waiting suffer more/ than he who's never waited for anyone?
-Perhaps heaven will be/ for suicides, an invisible star?
-Where is the child i was,/ still inside me or gone?
-Why did we both not die/ when my childhood died?
-Did autumn's hairdressers/ uncomb these chrysanthemums?
-Why do the waves ask me/the same questions i ask them?
-And why do they strike the rock/ with so much wasted passion?
-Don't they get tired of repeating their declaration to the sand?

No comments: