Tuesday, November 13, 2007

i'm closer to knowing

© delana dameron

I am closer to knowing

after Phillip Levine


I kneel in my porcelain tub, thigh-

deep in water, to wash the weeks worth

of clothes that piled up in the center

of my floor. I can’t say I know anymore

now what work is, but I’m closer

to knowing sacrifices my grandmother made,

a domestic in those grandiose white houses

on the Battery, those million-dollar

families that paid others to do their work.

I can’t say how she did it – scrubbing

the filth from the clothes by hand,

how she spent hours rubbing her knuckles

together – as I am now – to get the friction

needed, the friction and simplicity I took

for granted in those large metal contraptions

of detergents and softeners to rinse clean

our daily sweat and dirt. growing up

will do this, I suppose, when you run

prematurely away from safekeeping

and you find yourself on a Saturday night

forced to forfeit amenities I never once,

before now, had to pay for and cannot now

afford. working up a sweat, my hands

softened and rubbed raw at once, smelling

of downy, wringing the privilege from too many

pairs of jeans, I am thankful for this

meditation in the bathtub, this homage

to the woman who, decades back,

did the same – and I suppose, work is not

doing things out of affordability, but

doing the back-bending labor for a dime,

for three children and an absent husband.

work is not holding your own intimates

between your fingers, but a stranger’s,

plunging them down below the suds,

and picking them up to the light to see

how much more is required of you

before you are done.


No comments: