Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Alchemist

After Sunday's celebration, I decided on Monday that I still needed to celebrate. That is, the day before I take the GRE. I went to my friend's house (the person who I started these "celebrations with") and we ate dinner then popped a bottle of champagne and toasted the things we want to see happen soon.

She has been reading Paulo Coelho books for some time now. You should know this is significant because she is not a reader! So anyways. This other book I've been reading mentioned "The Alchemist" a couple of times and then someone else around me talked about it, so I figured it was time for me to check it out. That's how I discover some things -- if it is brought to my attention from separate worlds, then I figure there is some importance on it in my life and I should investigate it. So I asked my friend while I was at her house if I could borrow her book. She agreed. I rode the local train from brooklyn to harlem and read. The next morning I had to go back to brooklyn for the GRE. I read the book down, and back up and finished it last night. So basically a day and a train ride later.

It's an interesting book. It's called "a story about following your dreams" and in a way, that is exactly what it is. It was perfect for me to read it at this juncture in my life....in this cross between straddling uncertainty and just flinging myself into the wind and see what happens. Or, like an earlier post, taking to the sky and taking my traveling hints from the birds. Animals seem to know much more about life and living than I think we give them credit for. The Alchemist highlights that same sentiment -- showing that we over look the powers in the natural world to teach us what we need to know about living and life.

No comments: