Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Workshop

Saturday a great friend of mine celebrated the launch of her book, Canticle of Idols. You should buy it on Amazon.com right now.

I read Saturday with other poets to help push the work into the world. It was a great time. A new friend came and was able to see what I do. I was able to be who I am becoming.

Also on Saturday night I was asked to lead a workshop on Sunday. The Acentos Foundation holds these weekly workshops in east Harlem. They are free and open to the public. They have some amazing people coming through weekly. The person scheduled for Sunday canceled and I was asked to fill in. I agreed.

This meant, however, that I had to come up with a 2 hour workshop. I didn't make it home until 1:30am and needed to leave my apartment by 10:30a to make it to the east side by bus with a few minutes to prepare. Lucky for me, I bought this book on a whim. It's called "One year to a writing life". Granted, it doesn't have the kind of words I need at this juncture in my career, it did, however, have snippets here and there that I could splice and mix into a workshop.

I couldn't decided between Odes or Prose Poems. I printed out poems for both. But I decided to go with a workshop on Odes. I wrote down my plan on the bus over there, and said a little prayer that it would go over well, and my! The poems produced in those 2 hours were amazing. I was so happy to be a midwife to these babies.

I came home and decided I need to start building more. My empire. I typed up the plan. I will probably type up other plans.

I am also thinking about other ways (like last post) to create my writing footprint on the world. This includes taking a big leap from a former teacher who said that poets can't just be poets in this day. While preparing to send off grad school applications, I have been writing some prose - in addition to the book reviews - and hope to find homes for this new body of work as well.

No comments: